Thursday, November 24, 2016

Bishop’s Note: November 24, 2016 – Thanksgiving

Bishop Eric Menees

Good Morning, and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you all! This is that day in American Culture where we are infamous for waking up, turning on the TV to watch the Macy's Day Parade, and then, when the Turkey's ready, stuffing ourselves to overflowing. Then, in a stupor fueled by tryptophan, we plop ourselves in front of the TV again to watch the football games. But is that what Thanksgiving Day is really about? No, of course not.

Well then, is it about the Pilgrims and Indians, and those school plays that we used to do until the budget cuts eliminated things like that? I seem to recall being an Indian in the 4th grade, and being very self-conscience - as I was dressed in gym shorts with a simulated leather cover and no shirt - as I came on stage to deliver my one line: "Here" as I handed over a basket of steamed corn on the cob ready to eat. I know, not very historically accurate – but very cute!


I think those school plays were closer to the truth of what Thanksgiving is about.

While books have been written on Thanksgiving, and thousands of sermons have been preached, when I read this morning's Psalm I was struck with these two verses: “[8] Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! [9] For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.” (Psalm 107:8-9 ESV)

I believe that Thanksgiving is, indeed, about giving thanks to God for all of his wonderful gifts, poured out upon us. But the greatest gift is a fulfilled heart! The knowledge that we are loved beyond measure by a God who is not distant but ever present; a God who humbled himself to take on human form in order to redeem His adopted children; a God who died that we may have life and have it abundantly!

My prayer for you this Thanksgiving – and my prayer for me – is that our hearts and souls will have our longings satisfied when we understand that the only true source of that satisfaction is Jesus Christ, and Him alone.

I pray you all a very Happy Thanksgiving!

Thirty-nine Articles of Religion

IV. Of the Resurrection of Christ.

Christ did truly rise again from death, and took again his body, with flesh, bones, and all things appertaining to perfection of Man's nature; wherewith he ascended into heaven, and there sitteth, until he return to judge all Men at the last day.

No comments: